All supporting files from this release are listed for individual download below:
This release publishes data reported by local authorities in England, in the annual School Capacity (SCAP) survey, as of 1 May 2021.
Information is included on:
- The numbers of primary and secondary state-funded school places;
- Unfilled school places and pupils in places that exceed their school's capacity;
- Sixth form capacity;
- Local authorities’ pupil forecasts;
- Local authorities' planned changes to school places; and
- The Department's estimates of the future number of school places needed to meet predicted demand.
To reduce burden on schools and local authorities during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, data was not collected in 2020. This is, therefore, the first data in the series covering a period of the pandemic. Faster than expected declines in birth rates have impacted data this year, however, the pandemic and the UK’s exit from the EU will also have had impacts. For example:
- 2021 primary enrolment numbers show a notable decrease that is expected to be temporary;
- Some housing developments have been delayed; and
- There is increased uncertainty around future trends in international migration and movement between areas.
Headline facts and figures - 2020/21
Explore data and files used in this release
Help and support
Find out how and why we collect, process and publish these statistics.
These are Official Statistics and have been produced in line with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics.
This can be broadly interpreted to mean that these statistics are:
- managed impartially and objectively in the public interest
- meet identified user needs
- produced according to sound methods
- well explained and readily accessible
Find out more about the standards we follow to produce these statistics through our Standards for official statistics published by DfE guidance.
Our statistical practice is regulated by the Office for Statistics Regulation (OSR).
OSR sets the standards of trustworthiness, quality and value in the Code of Practice for Statistics that all producers of official statistics should adhere to.
If you have a specific enquiry about School capacity statistics and data:
Pupil Place Planning teamEmail: SCAP.PPP@education.gov.uk
Contact name: Simone Cardin-Stewart
If you have a media enquiry:
Telephone: 020 7783 8300
If you have a general enquiry about the Department for Education (DfE) or education:
Telephone: 037 0000 2288
Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays)