- All files (zip, 1 Mb)
- 01 Quantity of school places added since AY200910, planned places, estimated places still needed, and percentage of spare places in AY202122 (csv, 26 Kb)
- 02 Forecast accuracy AY201819 (csv, 24 Kb)
- 03 School preference offers (csv, 21 Kb)
- 04 Quality of school places added between 1 May 2018 and 1 May 2019 - Ofsted (csv, 47 Kb)
- 05 Quality of primary school places added between 1 May 2018 and 1 May 2019 - Reading and Maths (csv, 47 Kb)
- 06 Quality of secondary school places added between 1 May 2018 and 1 May 2019 - Progress 8 (csv, 22 Kb)
- 07 Cost of additional school places from LA reported projects AY201516-AY201718 (csv, 524 Kb)
- 08 Basic Need Funding for places 2011-2022 and Pupil Growth 2010-2021 (csv, 22 Kb)
- metadata (pdf, 258 Kb)
- quality of school places added underlying data (csv, 4 Mb)
Create your own tables
Explore our range of data and build your own tables from it.
Local authority school places scorecards
- Receive updates
- Sign up for email alerts
The scorecard release provides a snapshot of the progress local authorities in England are making in delivering good quality primary and secondary school places in 2019.
Information is included on:
- how many places have been delivered from 2009/10 to 2018/19, as of 1 May 2019
- how many places are planned to be delivered for academic year 2021/22
- the quality of places delivered between 2017/18 and 2018/19
- forecasting accuracy of local authorities
- how well parental preference is met
- basic need capital funding allocated to each local authority to create new places from 2011 to 2022
- the cost of providing places (for academic years 2015/16 to 2017/18 adjusted for inflation)
This release was first published at local authority school places scorecards: 2019 on 25 June 2020. The scorecard summary data has been migrated to the Explore Education Statistics platform to improve user access, although the local authority interactive scorecard is still available at the link above.
National level, local authority and school level data are provided in the data files associated with this release (school level data is only provided in the cost file and separate school level quality file).
All underlying data files may be found in the ‘Download associated files’ dropdown below:
Headline facts and figures - 2019
This release has been made to migrate the Local Authority School Places Scorecards 2019 summary data to the Explore Education Statistics platform. The scorecards display a snapshot of the progress local authorities are making in delivering good quality school places. No commentary is usually made alongside this data or the scorecard, but it complements the main School Capacity release in which headlines can be found.
Help and support
If you have a specific enquiry about Local authority school places scorecards statistics and data:
Pupil Place Planning team
Telephone: Natalie Wood
If you have a media enquiry:
020 7783 8300
If you have a general enquiry about the Department for Education (DfE) or education:
037 0000 2288
Create your own tables
Explore our range of data and build your own tables from it.Create tables