Foundation year participation, provision and outcomes at HE providers
File formats and conventions
All data files associated with this releases are listed below with guidance on their content. To download any of these files, please visit our data catalogue.
Foundation year student timeseries
Foundation year student year on year growth
Number of available foundation year courses and providers
Foundation year providers by student typology
Number of foundation year providers by region
Foundation years student demographics data
- Please note, percentages may not sum to 100 due to rounding.
- Not in the standard tariff population refers to those with qualifications at level 4 and above.
- This analysis excludes price group A because there is no price group A provision in foundation years. For more information on OfS Price Groups : Guide to Funding 2021-22 (officeforstudents.org.uk)
- The science grouping has been created by HESA using an aggregation of CAH level 1 codes. This grouping includes subjects like medicine, nursing and agriculture that may not be included in other definitions of STEM.
Completion rate by typology and subject
- Please note that the completion rates stated below reflect the proportion of students who have completed their degree within 6 years (for foundation years) or 5 years (for year 1) of starting in HE. Thus, completion rates for subjects which traditionally take longer than 5 or 6 years to complete may be underestimated here.
HESA graduate outcomes data
- Data is collected approximately 15 months after HE course completion
- High skilled employment is defined using the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) 2020. More details about skill level grouping is available here: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/support/definitions/graduates#soc
LEO graduate outcomes
- In the 2019/20 tax year, five years after graduation relates to those who graduated during the 2013/14 academic year, this data relates to those students who started their foundation years before foundation years started growing rapidly.
Student numbers by subject area
JACS subject area growth
Headline figure 1 - total entrants
Headline figure 2 - price group D proportion
Headline figure 3 - CAH subject
Headline figure 4 - student typology
CAH subject growth
- Please note, the CAH subject areas creative arts and design, communications and media, humanities and liberal arts, geographical and environmental studies and general and others in sciences have been removed as the number of foundation year entrants for these subject areas were 0 in 2021/22, hence growth rates would show at -100%.