This document describes the data included in the ‘School Capacity: Academic Year 2018/19’ Official Statistics release’s underlying data files. This data is released under the terms of the Open Government License and is intended to meet at least 3 stars for Open Data.
The methodology accompanying this release should be referenced alongside this data. It provides information on the data sources, their coverage and quality as well as explaining methodology used in producing the data.
A description of how the school place planning estimates have been derived and how to interpret them is also provided in technical guidance document accompanying this release. Users should read this technical guidance to understand the practical applications and limitations of the data.
This release reports on school capacity information in state-funded primary and secondary schools in England in the academic year 2018/19, as of 1 May 2019. Data are as reported by local authorities in the annual School Capacity (SCAP) Survey. Information is included on:
• The numbers of primary and secondary school places from 2009/10 to 2018/19;
• Unfilled school places and pupils in places that exceed their school's capacity;
• Local authorities’ pupil forecasts up to 2023/24 at primary level and 2025/26 at secondary level;
• Forecasts of places to be funded through housing developer contributions (HDCs) up to 2023/24 at primary level and 2025/26 at secondary level;
• Local authority planned places to 2021/22, including additional, bulge and removed places;
• Comparisons of forecasts with capacity to estimate the future number of places needed;
• Experimental statistics collected on sixth form capacity in schools from 2017/18 to 2018/19
File formats and conventions
These datasets have not had suppression applied.
The following conventions are used throughout the underlying data.
‘z’ Not applicable.
‘:’ Not available.
The following convention is used in the school sixth form capacity underlying data.
‘u’ Partial sixth form capacity data submitted. Sixth form capacity data has been submitted for some but not all schools with pupils on roll in year groups 12, 13, or 14 in the relevant geographic area.
All data files associated with this releases are listed below with guidance on their content. To download any of these files, please visit our data catalogue.